[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New G10 Gap Performance

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <mopar-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Just wanted to post tonights run (first run outside this year).
>
> I just finished construction of my G10/Tungsten gap (decided to build a
> decent gap for once). It's basically 12" dia., can run up to 12, 0.375"
> dia. tungsten rotating electrodes, mounted directly to shaft via press
> center hub (very stable and can be mounted to different motor shaft
> diameters for a low cost of $3 [U.S.]), homebrew sync gap. I also added
> length to the secondary which is now at 12.5" x 44", 983 turns.

<snip>

> I want to thank Ed Wingate for his work on the tungsten electrodes. Ed,
> they are perfect! This RSG is the best I've built. I've tried quite a
> few different RSG's (alluminum disk, belt driven, spinning pipes, etc.)
> and you really don't know they are poor performers until you build a
> good one and see the difference. The odd thing is, this was actually the
> easiest gap to build (of course, I have everyday  access to a machine
> shop, mills, machinest who likes beer, etc.).
>
> Bart

Bart,

Great to hear that the first run of your newly configured coil was
successful. And with no blown or burned parts. :^)

I have tried just about every material there is for rotary gaps.....
brass, copper, copper tungsten, steel, stainless steel and tungsten
tipped TIG welder internal gap electrodes, but nothing beats solid pure
tungsten rod for rotary gap electrodes, or static gap electrodes, for
that matter. They will take prolonged abuse and just keep rolling
happily along!

Ed  Wingate RATCB