[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Transformers for tesla use?

Hi, I am back on "the list" after an absence of 4 months due to my moving
house from Hamilton, New Zealand to Adelaide, Australia.  Its great to be
back and I see now that Terry is the list Moderator, congrats to you
Terry, I know you will do a good job.

Anyway, thought I would ask a question to start with:

I have found a couple of electronic surplus junk shops and at one the
proprietor has a number of large transformers rated at 5kva and 2000v
output, are these any good for tesla use (eg do you think I can rewire
them?  They are flattish and 20" x 12" in size.  Also there is a three
phase variac driven by a small DC motor, it is unusual to me in that the
coils are mounted on their sides , one atop each other with the contact
bar moving along all three coils as the motor turns.  Im not sure what
the rating is but was wondering whether i should be able to rewire the
connections to make it a single phase variac with 3 times the current
handling?

Also If there is someone else out of the 500 or so people on 'the list'
who might be from this corner of the world, I am wanting to find out
where I may get supplies for making my HDPE caps here in Adelaide and
also about getting a pole transformer here?

Anyway just a few thoughts.

Matthew Mills
EMAIL: matthew.mills-at-santos-dot-com.au
Phone (08) 8364 0249