[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power Factor Correction methods

Hi Richie,

	Many thanks for the equations here.  They work very well.  The real power
can be found fairly accurately by finding the "Tank Cap Watts"

Watts = F x 1/2 x Cp x Vfire^2

and then adding the loss in the filter and neon transformer.  In my case
the neon does about 30 watts and the filter about 100.

The VA input (in my case) is 1323 watts and the real power is 864 watts.
The neon input is 115 volts at 11.5 amps.  Now by adding a 200uF power
factor cap, I can reduce the current to 7.5 amps!  Something that is really
neat is with the power factor cap in place, any old voltmeter and any
ammeter will measure the real voltage and real current into the TC.  Thus,
no fancy watt meter would be needed.

The power factor caps will allow me to run the coil and the gap off a 15
amp power strip and reduce the voltage droop in the AC line.  It will also
reduce the stress on the variac and contactors that tend to arc more with
the inductive loads.  It would also allow me to use two neons in the
charging circuit and still be able to run the whole system from a 115 volt
20 amp circuit.  That would increase the arc energy by 80%!

I still have not played with gap timing vs power factor like you and John
have.  But my gap is not easy to alter (unlike Finn's new design) and the
caps do the trick for me just fine.

Cheers,

	Terry