[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sneak Preiew: Rotary Gap W. adjustable electrodes

Hi Finn,

	I thought that I would mention one detail about rotary gaps.  They
actually fire about 0.75 mS sooner than when the gaps actually align.  This
is due to the high voltage arcing when the gaps are about 3/8 inch away.  I
have a scale on my motor so I can read of the exact firing angle.  I have
to add the 0.75mS delay to my calculated optimal firing time.  Not a real
big deal but if you are getting down to splitting hairs with gap timing you
should take this into account.

	I made the scale with rulers, calculators, timing light...  And taped it
onto my motor.  I can easily set the timing now by simply turning the motor
to the desired time delay(there is a mark on the gap frame).  This may be
something that would be very useful for your gap too.  I can provide more
details if needed...

Cheers,

	Terry