[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Power Calculations

Hi Dr R.,

> Original Poster: "Dr. Resonance" <Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>
> to: Terry, Malcolm
>
> The ionization energy is rather low as compared to the energy lost in heat
> and light.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dr.Resonance.

Recombination of ions is responsible for the light and heat emission
isn't it? I was simply suggesting a mechanism (which I deduced
through observing the linear primary ringdown on the scope) which
explains the behaviour of the gap. I wasn't trying to put the
individual loss "components" into individual categories.
     BTW, some further thought suggests that if there is a lossy
element in the primary such as braid, primary current is reduced
which in turn reduces the gap loss. It is ironic to think that
eliminating losses in one part of the primary (e.g. by
replacing braid with piping) increases the losses in the gap! I said
it once before and I'll say it again - the gap is a monster, albeit a
useful one IMHO.

Regards,
Malcolm