[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Using MicroSim

Well, Daniel... Maybe I can help here a little bit...

>>I'm not sure I know what all of these
parts are. Can someone explain to me what a MOV is and what it does?

MOV stands for metal oxide varistor.. This device is used to limit the
inrush of current that allows large voltage spikes to form. (To an extent)
the extra energy that is accumulated in this device is wasted in the form of
heat.

>>I noticed that the sine wave of the starting AC voltage is exactly
opposite of the wave coming out of the transformer, can anyone explain this
to me?

On transformers, there are usually 2 dots. These dots mark the way the
secondary is coupled to the primary. Meaning which way the secondary is
wound in relation to  the primary. Keep that in mind.  These dots are used
when measuring the transformer. When an EMF(ElectroMotive Force ie. Voltage)
is applied to one side of the coil(dot), this makes one lead of the coil
more positive than the other.   At the very same instance, on the secondary
(with respect to the dot) through magnetic coupling an equal but
opposite(for all practical purposes of discussion) reaction occurs. Meaning
that the dot pin is more negative than the other pin in the secondary
winding. This means that the output is 180 degrees out of phase with the
input (Voltage and current).  That is what you have been seeing visually.
You can try this experiment with an old stepdown transformer from a power
supply. With a 2 channel scope, place 1 channel on the dot side of the
primary, and the other on the dot side of the secondary, and you will see
this visually represented.

I hope this helps a little.

Albert