[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: some questions about tc design

to: Victor

Use two commercial "surplus" RF filters back to back with a few MOV
varisters thrown in on the load side.  This does an adequate job of
filtering out interference.  A pair of "hash" chokes with heavy wire wound
on a PVC tube filled with 5/16 inch bolts x 5 inches long also helps out ---
one in series with the hot and one in series with the neutral (yes, RF
currents can flow through neutrals if they float a bit).

The flyback transformer will not provide a high current which is required by
current hungry capacitors in values above .01 MFD.  Most medium size coils
use .01 to .05 MFD caps with .02 MFD matching good to 120 mA driving
current --- usually a pair of 12 kV, 60 mA neon sign transformers (NST) in
parallel.

Use a 4.5:1 secondary coilform height/diameter ratio.  Use a flat spiral.  A
"test" setup can be fashioned by good old #12 AWG household wiring ---
sometimes electrical contractors have some scrap on a spool and they will
give it to you if it's 100 feet or less.

TC's don't power laser or railguns very good because they both require large
currents --- and direct current not HF AC.

Good luck

Dr.Resonance