[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coupling Questions & coil measurements

Ross, Terry, All

I have always wondered what the k of my system is. However I have only very
basic equipment to test it with - an analog meter, a home-made RF probe and
a few bits with which I could make a GDO. Any hints on an easy way I could
measure k with these parts?

Ross, as for your question about 'double humping', this occurs when
coupling is more than 'critical', ie 1. As coupling is increased the two
peaks of resonance will separate further apart, and I think (correct me if
I'm wrong) the overall system Q is reduced. This phenomenon is often used
in RF bandpass filters and IF circuitry to ensure that there is sufficient
bandwidth to either cover a whole amateur band or to make sure that the IF
is wide enough to recover the original audio signal on demodulation. There
comes a point in Tesla coil use where too much coupling will shift a high
voltage point somewhere down the secondary where it causes a band of
inter-turn arcing. Naturally also you are inviting racing arcs and strikes
to the primary which can destroy your secondary in short order, and losing
quenching, particularly on single-gap systems. A heavily blown series gap
like I use seems to be happy with a fair bit of coupling though.

Alex Crow