[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Choke & Toriod cons.

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 06:38:16 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original Poster: "lance underwood" <lunderwood46-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Hey everyone on the list,
>
> I need help with my first coil. I was wondering if a tesla coil
> powered by a
> 9kvac 25ma neon transformer would need chokes?

While other people might dissagree, I see little need for them at low
power levels like your's. Be sure to include a properly set saftey gap,
though. (though even that, if things are working well, and there is no
danger of a strike on the primary side, isn't neccesary).

>And if so how could I
> go
> about making them.

You may be better off using bypass caps and power resistors is you really
want RF protection. They'll be easier to make/use.

>Also, what is a very easy and cheap way to make
> toroids
> in the shape of a sphere and a donut.

Check the "Almighty Terminal" section of my site: www.electrophile.8m-dot-com
for toroid making info. BTW,  a "toroid" refers to the donut shape, the
sphere is just a sphere, though both are types of terminals. The most
commonly used material seems to be Al dryer ducting. I, and many others,
use it as-is (i.e. no covering with anything else) with superb results.
For spheres, i would suggest brazing, soldering, or epoxying two
stainless steel mixing bowls together, with first having removed the rim.

And one more question, with
> the
> transformer above, how many salt water capacitors should I use?

Try somewhere between three and six, depending on the size of the caps
being used, and the number of turns in your primary coil

> Any answer to any question will be helpful,
> Lance Underwood

Glad to be of help!

-Grayson Dietrich
"The Electrophile"