[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC supplied to Tesla coil

Hi Lee.

You don't need a DC power supply to remote locate it from the TC. You can do
that also with AC, why not?

You don't gain anything by rectifying the transformer output before
charging the
primary capacitor: it will get charged always to the same rate, depending on
your transformer output capability (max current allowed).

Your temptative circuit won't last more than a fraction of second :( . The RSG
not only connects the primary cap to the primary coil but also short-circuits
your power supply output. The rectifiers will die for extracurrent: if not,
they
will die possibly for the extravoltage kicked back by the spark gap opening. I
wonder if the magnetic current limiting of an NST is fast enough to protect
those diodes...

One solution is to increase the value of the inductance between the stabilizing
capacitor (power supply output) and the primary capacitor: in that way it will
limit the short-circuit current. But... You will than have resonant charging of
your primary cap (voltage developed = 2 X DC supplied voltage) and therefore:

- have to account for the increased voltage
- have to correctly time the RSG break rate
- possibly want to insert a diode between the power supply output and the
primary capacitor, to avoid resonant charging oscillations

I recently explored this topology and simulated a little bit it: you can find
the schematics and my results at
http://www.saunalahti.fi/dncmrc/thorguid.htm#b5-1-1 (conventional DC power
supply). I really don't recommend it, as you are forced to use a lot of bulk
components.

Regards

"Lee Marsh" <lmm-at-flash-dot-net> on 20.08.99 20:27:30