[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Quench vs Output/CSN

n another note:  In Tesla's Colorado Springs notes on his entry for August
> 31, 1899 he mentions the following:
>
> "Light seems to interfere decidedly with the streamers from ball and wire
> and it is also unmistakable noted that the noise of the discharge is
> lessened when sunlight falls upon the apparatus."
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has ever noticed that having a coil out in
> the sun decreases performance as Tesla noted.  I would think the bright
> sunlight and perhaps greater ambient noise of daytime would account for
> this observation.  However, if there were something like humidity or the
UV
> of sunlight affecting streamer formation, it would be interesting...
>
> Cheers,
Yes I found this entry amazing myself when reading the Colorado Spring
Notes.                                        Earlier having built a 10 foot
diameter coil outside I thought it was my imagination
that it seemed to work better in the evening. Of course sunlight also
obscures
corona discharge which leads one to suspect an optical illusion. However I
think
it is not the sunlight but condition of the ground that seems better in the
evening.

Incidentally on of the last experiments I made with this large coil and
another
equal length 1500 ft resonator of 20 inch diameter I operated both by
placing
the two primaries in series and noting the arcing between them, and then
noting
the difference by reversing the polarities of one of the primaries. In this
kind of
experiment I was attempting to send an electrical pulse into the earth by
making
two ground connections at wide distance of separation, to secure this effect
that
opposing coil polarities should give. It of course does produce a better
discharge
between them when the coils are opposite polarity, but what is surprizing is
the
amount of reduced discharge that occurs between the two coils when they are
of like polarity. Evidently the smaller stronger coil  overides the smaller
identical voltage
produced on the large diameter coil, or perhaps a small phasing difference
might cause this effect.

To make a long story short, I grounded the large diameter secondary to the
gas mains
about 25 ft away and grounded the smaller coil with a copper post into the
ground right
near its location next to the large coil.. When these two coils are
operating in magnetic
mutual agreement that produces a longer arcing  between their top
terminals,
it stands to reason each coil is opposite or 180 phased, which also means
that when one secondary grounding is borrowing free electrons from the
earth, the other is returning them.
I wonder if I could get the opinion of some experts here: if I had instead
used a common
ground for both secondaries would this have increased the efficiency of the
system
as a whole because of the previous noted 180 phasing? I would think that
situation
would decrease the advantage of grounding in the first place.

About 12 hours after these experiments on a calm summer day a loud
explosion
was heard. It was the lightening arrestor on the nearest utility pole, which
made our
street the only one without power. The utility man went around the block
looking
for a burned up squirrel but found nothing. The neighbors of course called
the police
claiming that my experiments were responsible, but I explained to them I
hadnt turned
anything on that day. Those were the end of those experiments.

On 9/7/99 I will post the results of an ongoing experiment with 180 phased
grounds.
Sincerly Harvey D Norris

Get FREE voicemail, fax and email at http://voicemail.excite-dot-com
Talk online at http://voicechat.excite-dot-com