[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: using an SS White x-ray transformer, an AM/FM Tesla coil??

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the info. on "re-oiling" the x-ray transformer (as well as all
the other people who have responded too!).  I was lucky enough to obtain
another one of these transformers the other day, rated at 90 Kv, 14 mA.   I
pulled it from an x-ray head, the tube of which was burned-out.   The only
thing I'm wondering about now is duty cycle,  since these transformers are
normally rated for just a few seconds at maximum output.  Otherwise, I'm
pretty much ready to rehouse them, probably in the same heads where I
obtained them.

That's a LARGE transformer you have, that's for sure!  Where I live, I could
never use one of those, nor could I use a "pole pig" (even though it's very
tempting).  I can only imagine what the generated RFI would do to the
neighbors!  RFI was bad enough during my Ham radio days, speaking of which-
I wonder if anyone's ever amplitude or frequency modulated a Tesla coil?  It
should be possible.

John