[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: That secondary harmonic voltage distribution stuff...

At 07:25 AM 08/27/1999 -0500, you wrote:
snip...

>Terry,
>
>This is an extremely interesting result, since it shows an unexpectedly
>different voltage distribution that the mostly-sinusoidal one would
>expect from a 1/4 wave theory open resonator! In fact, if your
>measurements and approximation formula are close to being correct, fully
>25% of the total output voltage would be confined to the uppermost 10%
>of the winding(!). Previous wisdom/theory assumed that most of the point
>of maximum voltage stress for an unloaded resonator would be confined to
>the bottom portion of the resonator, with a maximum of only about 15% of
>the total voltage stress appearing across the bottom-most 10% of the
>winding.
>
>It would be interesting the see if a similar distribution applies to the
>case where the resonator is "pumped" from a primary EM field at Fo, and
>if, indeed, the distribution becomes more linear as top loading is
>added. It may also be that the base-driven CW case may exhibit a
>different voltage distribution than the disruptive case during energy
>transfer to the resonator during ring-up...
>
>Very interesting results indeed!
>
>-- Bert --

I ran E-Teslax with a Vml^e voltage distribution and did a contour and 3-D
surface plot.  They are posted at:

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/Vdist1.jpg
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/Vdist2.jpg

I wonder if these graphs look like a reasonable representation of a real
coil?  They are the best guess at the moment...

Cheers,

	Terry