[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

very first coil

Hi everyone,
I have about two days work left on my very first coil.  I used the plans
for the "Square Tesla Coil" featured in the 1990 issue of "Electronics
Hobbyists Handbook"
It uses a 3000v 20ma neon sign 'Franceformer.'
The plans called for two 10micro Henry  AC-line filter chokes.
I used  two 1-1/2 od x 3/4 id x 5/8 ferrite torrids that I 'd taken from
a line filter and wrapped  them each with 19 turns of 14gauge solid
insulated wire (as much as would fit)
The output sphere called for a 1-1/4 steel ball.  I was under the
impression that bigger was better so I used  a 2-1/4.

How do you check to see if your wall outlet is properly grounded?
Although this coil is designed to produce 3 to 4 inch sparks, what are
the dangers of frying sensitve equipment in my house or my neighbors'
house?  I don't have a garage. And where I live the houses are built
with no space between them.
Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect when I plug this sucker in?

thanks folks,
Joseph