[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Brass torroid

To list, All

I have been working on this large brass torroid for six weeks, and I'm glad
it's over.
Although it looks great, I have some tips for those who are thinking of doing
it this way. This is the "Inflatable Torroid" idea that was talked about some
while back.
The part about getting it bigger as it inflates is only good if you have a
flexible conductor, and is probably not a viable option. The soldering of the
brass shim stock
over a pool float ring was the easy part. What made it nasty was that the
vinyl had been stamped with warnings in every language known to man only on
one side and this made the ring fatter at one end. Working with the ring
deflated I soldered 43 loops of . 004 thousands(inch) thick , around,
overlapping them in the inside and gapping them on the outside. Anyway's
taped aluminum is used to shield the plastic from the 60 watt iron, next,
soldered the cut triangles in the gaps and then fill with
insolation foam to harden the whole thing, since there is a small hole in the
tube somewhere.  Overall Dia is 3 feet, with 6 inch dia for the tube portion.
If I were to do it again I would make the loops of brass and triangles hinge
from the center of the donut and then fill the thing with air making it
easier to get the thing ship shape.
Good luck and safe coiling.
Denis Despins
KC6TRW