[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: drying coil forms

In a message dated 12/8/99 11:33:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  Ed: I essentially said the same to Justin. BUT, this is the first time I've
>  heard that certain sealing agents can crack acrylic. Anything in particular
>  I should stay away from? I had planned to use a good quality polyurethane
>  varnish...glossy for 'show'.
>  And it's a 6" so it will be motor driven while applying and drying.
>  As for expensive..yep. Between the 36" I had to buy (sold by the foot) and
>  the two 6" end disks, I dropped $100 yesterday. Aspirin today.
>  Ted
 Ted,

I am in the golf car business and we use acrylic windshields on the golf
cars.  I have seen these crack from using certain adhesives and solvents on
them.  It takes a few days and shows up as thousands of very tiny cracks.
Sorry, I can't tell you exactly what materials to avoid.  You should be able
to get some small scraps of acrylic free at any plastics dealer.  Use these
and test whatever sealant you plan to use over the wire.

Ed Sonderman