[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Polyethylene Washers ?????

In a message dated 12/14/99 3:10:47 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Does anyone know where I can buy some polyethylene washers?
>  >
>  >I have looked in McMaster Carr, WW Granger and a few other places and have
>  >found plastic washers but can not find out if they are differently made
out
>  >of polyethylene.
>  >
>  >I am building a simple industructable capacitor using a fish aquarium,
>  >several metal plates bolted together with all thread polyethylene rods,
>  >polyethylene hex nuts, polyethlene .125 washers as spacers between the
>  >plates and about 3 gallon of high voltage oil.
>  >
>  >Wonder if some other type of plastic washer would work?
>  >
>  >The flat washers need to be .125" thick or 2 washers in a stack .0625"
> thick
>  >each.  Hole diameter can be .187" or .250".  Outside diameter is not very
>  >important as long as all the washers are the same.
>  >
>  >If this works as well as I think its going to then I will have some round
>  >metal plates laser cut to fit the inside of a 4" PVC pipe.  Then
capacitors
>  >can be made any uf value I need just by using the correct number of metal
>  >plates.  Fill it with HV oil and glue on the end caps with electrical
studs.

>  >
>  >Gary Weaver
Gary,

It sounds like the washers are just spacers and not actually part of the
dielectric.  Is this correct?  If so, you could probably use nylon washers
that are easily available at the larger hardware/home supply type stores.

Ed Sonderman