[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

8mhz-250khz TC

Hello Everyone,

After reading Gordon McComb's _Gadgeteer's Goldmine_, I decided to input
the figures of the tesla coil described in the book in to wintesla.  It
is a 3.5" diameter 14" high TC.  Resonant frequency with topload should
be 250khz.  It is driven with a ignition coil that runs at <30 watts.
Spark length is around 8-12".  So, it seems to be a normal, efficient
tesla coil.   Yet his primary cap is only three doorknob caps for
1.5nfd!!!  Wintesla says it should be about 130nfd.  According to my
calculations, with only 1.5nfd, his primary is resonating at
approximately 8mhz.  Tuning must be done as normal, so it is more than
just an air core pulse transformer(or is it?).  At 8mhz, even if you are
on a odd harmonic, the thirtieth's harmonics are just to high to be of
much use.  What mode of operation could this be running?  To me, this is
a complete mind boggle.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Bryan