[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wimshust TC ?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: windstalker-at-webtv-dot-net (R. Eric La Rue)
>
> Is it possible to power a small TC with a wimshust machine?

Basically, Yes. A simple configuration is to connect a pair of
large Leyden jar capacitors to the terminals of the machine, and
connect the primary winding between the outer plates of the
jars. The normal spark gap of the machine completes the primary
circuit. The primary resonates with the two capacitors in
series.
The total primary capacitance would be probably in the 100 pF range,
to allow charging in reasonable time, and the primary voltage would
be rather high (~50 kV). A small secondary would have small
self-capacitance, and so some voltage gain would be possible.
This is something that I would like to try, but I didn't yet.
Don't expect great results, as these machines, unless you use a
large multiplate machine, don't produce more than a few Watts
of output power.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz