[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: IGBT ?

Max,
IGBT = Insulated Gate BiPolar transistor (International Rectifier, MOT,
etc.)
Has a Gate driven like a Power MOSFET
(charge/discharge capacitance to turn On/Off).

The output is a Collector and Emitter of a junction transistor.

They are used in applications like pulse width modulated PWM motor drivers
that use high voltages (up to 1200V though 400V is more common) and high
currents.
Most have fast commutation diodes built in.

They are preferred in commercial apps due to the smaller die
for the same switch power as MOSFETs, resulting in lower cost.
They are rated for direct short for 10uS at ~400V which is nice for
their intended half-bridge operation.

They don't switch quite as fast as MOSFETs
 topping out around 100kHz depending on current.
(Specs are getting close to being able to switch large TC resonator
directly)

Regards, Dale
Redondo Beach, Calif