[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Tiny Little Tesla Thingy

Alright...after another action packed day of winding coils and giving myself
intermittant shock treatments I was playing with some 30AWG magnet wire and
a pen. I wound it on the pen and in about 10 minutesI had a rather nice
miniature secondary.

I am a model railroader and love building tiny little things. I was
wondering if it were physically possible to build an incredibly small
TC...like 1/4" dia secondary. Has anybody ever thought of this? done it?

Given that it wouldn't be any fun if it were easy I would like to make it a
true reproduction of a full size one...spark gap and everything. I am
guessing the gap would have to be rotary....DUH...there's no way to scale
down the laws of physics so I cannot use a static gap.
The cap I don't know. I might be able to cheat with semiconductors...but I
really would like to make small SW caps if possible.

Can this be done? Or is it yet another in a Looooooong series of dumb ideas
and pipe dreams? :)

Alright.....let the flames begin.

Chris B.