[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Induction heating in toroid / short circuit of secondary

Thanks for the spelling corrections :-).

I'm also almost convinced that the power lost is minimal, but I think the
analysis might be more complex than you suggest.

Try this for size....

As far as I remember, Faraday's law of induction indicates that the EMF
generated in a coil is equal to the number of turns in the coil times the
rate of change of flux through the coil.  To a first approximation, the
current in a toroid is therefore given by (dFlux/dt)/R and power lost as
(dFlux/dt)^2/R.

So as the resistance goes _down_ the power lost goes _up_, and vice-versa.

This makes intuitive sense as at one extreme a ring of insulating material
would have a very high resistance and a very low power loss, and at the
other extreme we all know what happens if you short the secondary winding of
a normal transformer!

As you say, however, Lenz's law means that the induced current will set up
an opposing magnetic field which will tend to reduce the rate of change of
flux.

For a tightly coupled transformer (i.e. iron core) this will result in a
reduction in the inductance of the primary, which will in turn result in an
increased primary current flow, which in turn return will restore the rate
of flux change to its original value (up until the point where the core
saturates).

In a loosely coupled system (such as between the toroid and
primary/secondary in a tesla coil) there will be some increase in primary
current but, as you suggest, some of the flux will be forced round the side
of the toroid.  In that case, I think peak power will be at a maximum when
the toroid's electrical resistance means that the induced current causes the
effective magnetic resistance of the area inside the toroid to match the
effective magnetic resistance of the alternative path round the outside.

I believe this is exactly equivalent to the current limiting in a NST, where
the shunts provide an alternative magnetic path which doesn't pass through
the secondary coil.

I haven't done the maths, but I suspect that the loose coupling means that a
low  resistance toroid will dissipate very little power.

Views anyone?

Colin.