[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

coil question

OK, I'm new on the list... Never posted anything on here before, but I have
been keeping up with the list lately and it's great... there's a lot of cool
ideas being thrown about...
anyways, on to my question... I'm working on my first coil and having some
trouble... my primary circuit is working great but the secondary coil isn't
doing jack... I'm thinking that I might now have enough coils on it but I
don't know... was looking for some good suggestions... here's my coil
specs...

120V 60hz in, 15KV 30ma out on the transformer
variable static spark gap....  can get about two inch sparks with no
trouble... so I know the primary circuit is going good
2 salt water caps... these have 24 bottles in each... I haven't measured the
caps so I don't know their ratings... I'm a little short on money... but I'm
guessing their close to what I need
8.75 loops of 3/8 inch copper pipe, spaced at 1/2 inch with an 8 inch center
coil for the primary
14awg coiled around 4.5 inch PVC, 24 inches high for the secondary

I think I need high gauge wire on the secondary but I don't really want to
do that if I can avoid it... any suggestions?
also, what is good for connecting the components?  is there anything special
I should account for in my connections? like thicker wire or anything?

thanks,
Kelly