[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Franceformer repair

> Original Poster: Apollo <ollopa-at-jps-dot-net>

<snip>

> I've got the core out and about 98% unpotted.  There were four bolts (one
> in each
> corner) holding the core together.  I also noticed that the core seems to
> be made
> of two sideways U shaped parts with the seam going right down the middle
> (where the
> primary winding is).  I've got the bolts out, but I can't figure out how
> get the
> core apart.  Am I going to have to peel each layer of laminate off
> carefully, or should
> it pop apart with a screwdriver or two?
>
> Also, there are four banks of shunts (two per side).  How many shunts is
it
> safe to
> remove from each bank?

Rick,
Once the 4 bolts and hardware are removed the two "E" cores should separate.
Probably more soaking in Diesel fuel, (or the solvent of your choice), is
required.  Do be careful when trying to remove the secondary coils. I ruined
one secondary coil by applying too much force.  To remove the other
secondary I warmed the laminations with a propane torch to soften the
remaining "tar". The coil then slid smoothly off.

Jon Rosenstiel