[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Bipolar Coil (was: Coiling Goals)

Hi Brian,

	Your white paper on your mini twin coil is super nice!!  Extremely well
written and informative.  There were two things that caught my eye.

In the middle of the first page, you talk of the EMMC with the 10Meg
resistors and say "This EMMC module retains a noticeable charge for at
least 30 seconds."  However, The EMMC should be virtually discharged in
only 5 seconds?  If one charges a 0.056 cap to 20,000 volts and then
discharges it with a 10Meg resistor, the voltage will fall from 20kV to
2.59 volts in 5 seconds.  I don't see how it could be shocking you after 30
seconds.  Perhaps it is static charge or something.  If the cap is not
discharging very quickly, we should probably figure out why.  A lot of
people use MMCs and if there is a problem with the discharge we should
probably figure it out ;-)  Is it possible that a cap does not have a
resistor across it or a resistor has failed open?

The second note was at the top of the second page where you say "It was
important to give the EMMC module time to return to ambient temperature
before making the (capacitance) measurement."  Poly caps should vary about
1% for every 20 degrees C (according to WIMA).  Does this seem about right
in your experience?  I was wondering if the capacitance was changeling any
more than expected due perhaps to our rather "enhanced" use?  It may be
possible that the value is drifting temporarily due to the high voltage,
current, frequency stress and then that stress relaxes and the value
returns to normal.  I was just wondering if you had noticed anything we
should be concerned about for EMMC design.

I did a little experiment.  I measured my EMMC at 27.7nF at the room
temperature of 19.7 degrees C.  Then I took it outside and let it cool down
to arctic Colorado temperatures of 13.2C (it was 17C here on Christmas day,
Santa needed a short sleeve shirt ;-))  The capacitance still measured
27.7nF.  I have it in the refrigerator now...

Cheers,

	Terry