[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TWO STAGE COILS?

Hello Coilers:

A friend in Wales sent me an interesting book for Christmas titled
Marconi and His Wireless Stations in Wales.  One chapter gives the
technical information and schematics for his apparatus including
the high power station at Poldhu, Cornwall where the first trans-
Atlantic transmissions originated from.

That transmitter used a two-stage arrangement where the secondary
of the first stage was used to charge a capacitor which in turn
discharged via a gap into a second stage primary.  The second
stage secondary was connected to the antenna and ground.

It occured to me that there was quite a similarity in the first
stage portion to a Tesla coil and I wondered if anyone had ever
thought of applying the two-stage idea, or had even tried it?
I would think that the capacitors for the second stage would
have to be pretty hardy to withstand the electrical stresses.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca