[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nested Secondaries

<snip from Scott's message>
>>Hi All...
>>

>>	I was thinking about something that I havent heard any ideas about (
>>maybe its too ludicrous). I searched the archives ans still nothing on
>>it, so heres the idea.
>>
>>The concept is nested secondaries, one inside the other. My plans would
>>consist of an 8 " dia tube with a 7" tube inside. Of course, both wound
>>with 22Ga wire and both with the same amount of wire. Seeing that the 8"
>>tube would hold more wire per length as the 7", the 8" form would have
>>to be space wound for several inches ( havent done the exact math yet).
>>Once both forms have been wound, the base of each secondary would be
>>connected to each other ( and to RF grnd) while the upper leads would
>>both be connected to the top load.

Hi Scott,

A while ago several people here (myself included) tried double winding our
secondary coils...i.e. winding a regular secondary, then winding another
layer of the same size wire over the first and connecting them in parallel.
This sounds electrically like the same thing that you are talking about,
except in this case the two secondaries are actually touching.  The idea
was to see if you could get the current carrying capacity & higher Q of
thicker wire, yet retain the benefit of higher inductance that you get with
thinner wire and more turns.  Since the two layers overlap and are close to
the same length, there is not much voltage difference between them and thus
no sparking or insulation breakdown.  I tried adding an extra layer to my
6" pig powered coil, but never noticed much of a difference in output.   I
believe Bert Pool experimented with a magnifier driver with multiple
overlapping layers(4??).  There was a discussion about multiple layered
coils on the list a couple of years ago, so if you search the archives you
might find something.  I haven't heard of anyone running parallel
secondaries on separate coaxially mounted forms as you suggested, but it's
certainly an interesting idea!

Happy millennium everyone!

Charles Brush
http://www.voltnet-dot-com