[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Poly-Lok polyester resin transformer...

Apollo,
snip>>>>>> <Tesla-at-pupman-dot-comm > 12/28/99 07:36PM >>>
Original Poster: Apollo <ollopa-at-jps-dot-net>

>>>Does anyone know how to remove the polyester resin potting in
>>>a transco poly-lok transformer?
>>>Heating doesn't seem to work, I heard the typical chemicals
>>>don't work...  ??

   potting? this is probably some kind of thermoset/cross linked polyester
similar to what is used in FRP composites..... thermosets as a whole are
fairly impervious to solvent action as well as melting (they don't!) and
there are many many variations of resins...   as rule of thumb  the usual
organic/petrol./alcohols  base solvents are out...... strong acids,bases
best bet,and better yet at elevated temps...nasty business........ (& I
shudder to think what heated
HNO3 would do to  a steel core or Cu !)
the NST mfg may have  some advice(?) or at least more info on the potting
compound. a good trick if needed is ask them for a MSDS on the resin....
this may help in picking a solvent.....
Robert