[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla's Energy Trans/dynamo failure

To Charles and all:

In a recent post to the Tesla List, I described having the actual
repair receipt from the El Paso Electric Co., for the repair work
necessary on the alternator that Tesla burned out.  (It is but
one document in a series I recently purchased.)  Note that I
said "alternator" instead of "dynamo."

As for Y2K tomorrow night:  _NO_, I don't plan on making
any sparks!  (I don't want to be blamed if the power goes out!)
(I've been blamed too many times in the past for that!)

Best regards,
Bill Wysock.

> Date:          Thu, 30 Dec 1999 10:16:58 -0700
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: Tesla's Energy Trans/dynamo failure
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Original Poster: Charles Brush <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>
<snip>
> On a related note:   There is this dramatic story of Tesla's assistant
> throwing the switch and 100+ foot bolts of lightning that could be heard
> for miles jumping from the mast.  This supposedly overloaded the power
> plant, and Colorado Springs immediately went dark.
<snip>
> So what do Tesla's Colorado Springs Notes say about this event?
<snip>
> Tesla: "When the discharge was effected as in the
> experiments photographed, a continuous and brilliant arcing took place over
> the lightning arresters and the dynamo at the power station was
> short-circuited in rapid succession."   The arcing across the gaps in his
> lightning arresters indicates that severe HV high-frequency kickbacks were
> entering the supply lines.  The insulation in the Colorado Springs
> generator was not designed to withstand that kind of voltage, and as Tesla
> states, it simply short circuited.  Here we have an unambiguous account in
> Tesla's own words of what happened.
> Charles Brush
Tesla Technology Research