[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

UUENCODE JPG and GIF

----------
From:  Alfred A. Skrocki [SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, February 27, 1998 1:04 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: UUENCODE JPG and GIF

oN Wednesday, February 25, 1998 2:14 PM gweaver
[SMTP:gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net] WROTE;

> I have received about 70 jpg and gif coded files from people on the TC list
> that I can not view.
>
> What is the reason for coding these files?  I have no trouble sending or
> receiving gif, jpg or zip files by email.

Some people like those with JUNO acounts for example can not recieve
attached files so for them the only way to recieve a binary file is to
UUEncode.

> Some of the jpg files are made up of 5 or 6 coded email files.  How do I
> decode these files?  How do I decode several files at one time to make a
> complete picture?
>
> I have a program called UNC.  If I save an email to the c:\unc directory and
> call it 001.wri then convert it to 001.txt I can decode it if it is only 1
> email file by typing the command line c:\unc\001.txt then enter.  That
> creates a file like sparkgap.jpg that I can view with Graphic Workshop.
>
> For the multi email files I tried the command line c:\unc\*.* but that does
> not work.
>
> I tried to copy and paste all the emails into one txt file and name it a.txt
> then type the command line c:\unc\a.txt then enter but the file won't decode.
>
> Does anyone know how this works?

Yes, you were right with doing the cut and past BUT I'll bet you didn't
edit all the header material out so it was nothing but the UUEncoded data
and that's what choked your program. There is a Windows program that will
automaticaly strip all the extraneous material from multible UUEncoded
files and also automaticaly piece them together, it is called Sitex.
Here is the FTP site to get it from with a brief description.

   FTP:// ftp.simtel-dot-net/pub/simtelnet/win3/compress/

    file name     size     date             description
  sitex10.exe   355,024  96/04/23  Expands SIT/ZIP/ARJ/ARC/GZ/UUE/HQX/BIN

OH yes if the above site won't let you log on it is overloaded and you can
also try;

   FTP:// ftp.cdrom-dot-com/.29/simtelnet/win3/compress/

BTW I also noticed your using Graphic Workshop to view your .JPGs and .GIFs
I have on occasion had trouble with this program and had to use it to
convert the unviewable .JPG into .GIF and load it into a DOS program called
CompuShow which would then succesfully show the image. You can get a copy
from;

   FTP:// ftp.simtel-dot-net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/graphics/

    file name     size     date             description
  cshow904.zip  264,834  96/04/11  CompuShow v/9 GIF,JPEG,PNG,etc

Agan if that sitew is too busy then use;

   FTP:// ftp.cdrom-dot-com/.29/simtelnet/msdos/graphics/

                                       Sincerely

                                        \\\|///
                                      \\  ~ ~  //
                                       (  -at- -at-  )
                                   Alfred A. Skrocki
                               Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                           alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                      Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at;
                       http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251
                                     .ooo0   0ooo.
                                       \_)   (_/