[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

glass cutting

----------
From:  Eleanor Flood [SMTP:eflood-at-bellsouth-dot-net]
Sent:  Monday, January 12, 1998 2:01 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  glass cutting

If anyone out there is planning on making plate glass caps, please be
warned, our neighbor gave us a couple of fine sheets of Hercules Safety
glass.  The sheets were 24" long and 8" wide. Harold thought to saw them
into 8" square pieces to make a glass cap. I do a bit of lapidary work,
so we have a diamond edge abrasive saw that is used to cut rocks, glass
and the like.  Harold marked the glass, donned a rubber apron, a hat and
safety goggles, and turned on the saw.  He had not cut an eighth of an
inch into that glass when it literally exploded.  There was not a piece
of it left as big as a match head.  The glass was scattered all over the
10' x 24' room.  We have no idea what was so different about this glass
to cause such an event. He frequently saws regular window glass and
glass bottles for salt water caps with no problem.  Anyway, if you plan
to saw glass, just be careful.  We also wonder what might have happened,
should he have had access to the size he needed, constructed the cap and
put the high voltage to it.  Big explosion?  Anyone know anything about
this type glass.

Safe sparking, and safe sawing!
Elli