[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Low voltage sparkgaps for ignition coil driver...

>> > 30 kV/cm, or 3 kV/mm, or 76 kV/inch, or 76 V/mil, is a better
figure.
>> > But I read somewhere that less voltage than about 240 V (or
>> > something in this range) cannot cause air breakdown, no matter
>> > what is the distance. (Does someone know more about this?)
>>
>> This is true.. If you look at the Paschen curve, it has a minimum at
>> some combination of density and distance. If you reduce the distance
>> even further, the breakdown voltage actually goes up.
>>
>> It has to do with the mean free path of the ions in the gap. If the
gap
>> gets very small, a cascade of ionization can't develop.  The worst
>> pressure, from a breakdown standpoint, is around .01 Atmosphere,
>> equivalent to about 30 km altitude (100 kFt

If this is true(If you reduce the distance even further, the breakdown
voltage actually goes up.) couldn't a high capacity high voltage cap be
made where as the plates were brought together both the capacitance and
the voltage rating improved?

Chris, via the inter-thingy