[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: new to tesla coils

Hey Zip2002,
Go to the Tesla Webring and look through all of the sites.  There are
currently
about 130 sites on there.  Most of the sites have valuable info on how to
build
most any size TC.  The URL is listed below.
http://www.webring-dot-org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=teslaring;list

Now go download the Sonderman / Ruch spreadsheet that will help you out
with the
Tesla Calculations.   While you are there, link over to the Tesla Coil
Archives
and read a bunch of that stuff.  URL  is below.
http://members.tripod-dot-com/~coreyonline/CoreysTC.html

Make a little trip over to The Science Hobbyist page, and check out his Tesla
resources.  Check out his other stuff, too.  This is one of my favorite pages.
http://www.eskimo-dot-com/~billb/

As a final step (after a couple days of reading the above), always do a
search of
the Tesla List Archive right before you decide to build a part.  Read as
much as
you can stand before you just have to out to the shop and start wrapping
wire on
something!  The archive has the absolute BEST and most current info on all
aspects
of coil building.

For the least expensive coil with decent performance, go with 4" SDR PVC
pipe and
a 12KV, 60ma neon sign transformer (NST).  Dr. Resonance (D.C. Cox) gives
away an
excellent plan set for a 4" coil that will produce 22"+ arcs.  He also
sells parts
for the coil at a very reasonable price.

Be prepared for a large undertaking if you decide to build a coil.  I am
about 95%
done with my first coil (6" dia secondary, 1.4 KW input).  I have spend
most of my
free time over the last 2+ months either building stuff or searching for
supplies.  I have invested over $400 and probably 200 hours working on it.
I have
enjoyed every minute of it  and expect it to be worth every cent - I just
wanted
to let you know what you are getting into.

BTW, It is the tradition on this list to use your real name.

Safe Coiling,
Ross Overstreet
Huntington Beach, CA

Zip2002-at-aol-dot-com wrote...