[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measuring Output Current from a NST

to: Ross

Yes, and it's so easy it will make you sad that you damaged your meter.
For current testing you should almost never us a standard series
multimeter.

Pick up a surplus analog meter 0-100 ma AC or other suitable range and set
it on a big piece of plastic.  Now it's insulated and you can run your Hv
through it and measure currents with no problems.  Fair Radio Sales and C&H
Sales both carry surplus meters as well as do local hamfests -- expect to
pay approx $1-$5 for such meters.

If you want to use your multimeter then pick up a small current transformer
-- toroid type -- and run the HV through in a piece of neon sign
transformer HV wire or non-resistive automotive spark plug wire.

Any time you break any ground connection using a digital meter --- well,
you discovered the result.

Regards,

Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net