[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: wire for secondary

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Stranahan Aaron <Aaron.Stranahan-at-Columbia-dot-net>
>
> Hi!
>
>         I am a new builder, and have a few questions!
> 1- can I use regular (plastic insulated solid or stranded) 19awg wire
> instead of the enamled?

Yes. The additional insulation can be helpful on larger, higher powered
coils so that they can better withstand higher volts/turn stress or
mechanical damage via moving/handling. The greater thickness of
insulation means that you'll get fewer turns/inch (it's sort of like
using a space-wound coil), and significantly lower inductance for the
same winding length. Again, for larger coils (with larger coilform
diameters) this is not a problem and is often desirable.

> If so, what is the advantage of enamled?

Thinner insulation allows closer turn-turn spacing, allowing you to
maximize inductance for a given winding length.

> 2- is there anyone in the Nashville TN area getting this?

 Unknown...

> 3- is there a good source for thourough cap construction help? (ie step by
> step instructions)??

Check the archives at http://www.velocity-dot-net/~djb/files.shtml and check
out crazycap.gif, cap.txt, capacitr.txt, and capinfo.txt.

> 4- are there any good books that cover gaps, rf filters, etc? I want theory
> for each component!
>
> thanks- I appologize if these questions are too basic for this list..
>
> Aaron Stranahan, Attorney at Law*

<SNIP>

No problem! Unfortunately, I know of no single book that pulls it all
together (as yet). Books/booklets that do exist reflect current coiling
knowledge/wisdom at the time they were written, or reflect more generic
electrical engineering topics not specific to Tesla coiling.

Also, there have recently been significant strides made in
understanding, simulating, and experimentally verifying the operation of
various portions of these systems by a number of people on this list.
For example, Terry Fritz has developed certain remote high voltage and
current measurement techniques, and has compared experimental versus
predicted results from simulation models. His very well-written articles
delve into the theory and operation of various elements in the system.
Check out some his work at
http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/experiments/experiments.html
You can also peruse or search the archives of the Tesla Builders list
at:
http://www.pupman-dot-com/

Finally, if you still have questions, ask the members on this list!

Safe coiling to you!

-- Bert --