[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: another pole pig query

In a message dated 2/4/99 4:07:34 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  My new question: I have been long debating how to ballast it. I dont
>  really want to spend $$$ on a welder. I cam up with another possibility.
>  Between myself and a friend, we can come up with a number of huge 10 ohm
>  power resistors. These appear to be able to take considerable wattage,
>  hooked them across 120V (thats 1.44kW). I figure I can get the right
>  ballast (240V) by using a bank of 4 of these in parallel (2.5 ohms) in
>  series with a similar bank (5 ohms total). That would limit the current
>  to fourty-some amps I think. Does anyone know how much V I will loose on
>  the pig by using these R's for ballast? Any other thoughts on R ballast
>  in general? Remember this ballast idea is free (already have the R's).
>  The specs for the pig again is 240V input, 19,920V output 10kVA.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Tristan Stewart,KC2EBM

Tristan,

Hook the distribution transformer up as a jacobs ladder, with your intended
resistive ballast and measure the voltage drops - and primary current.  I use
both inductive and resistive ballast.  My current resistance is 1.6 ohms.
This is in series with a 5kw variac.

Ed Sonderman