[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pole pig needed

   I read an article sometime ago regarding the  properties of PCB
(Polychlorinated Biphenyl). This article concluded that the dangerous
nature of
these compounds has been wildly overstated. But even if PCB is dangerous, I
can't imagine  passing up a good pole xfmr simply because it contains it. We
assume the transformer's tank and seals are intact---you may want to avoid
ones
that are rusting piles of junk.
   The bottom-line question is this: What is the probability of significant
exposure to the contents of a Pole xfmr so filled? Well, unless you open the
case, empty the contents into a bath tub, and proceed to immerse yourself
in it
multiple times, you'll probably be ok. You certainly wouldn't want to fill an
atomizer with some, mist, and inhale deeply.   It is conceivable that an
overheating condition could cause PCB vapor to be released through the xfmr's
pressure valve. Other's may have comments an this scenario, which still
strikes
me as being unlikely.
   Look, gasoline is fairly dangerous and we regularly drive around with
gallons
of it sloshing around. I don't know, Pole Pigs are like gold. Hard to imagine
rejecting one because of what are probably minimal dangers. Safety is the #1
Coiling Commandment, but is possible to become irrational about it.

  Check out this site--http://mcni-dot-net/~copa/med/pcbatsdr.htm. The case study
involves a man who apparently experienced multiple exposures. Here's a
portion:

 "....the patient reveals that while in the basement workshop he frequently
wipes up "dark oily discharge" near a large electrical transformer in the work
area. The discharge has also resulted in a gummy  residue on tools and other
surfaces. He mentions he sometimes feels dizzy and nauseated after working in
the basement all day."

   Avoid frequent wipe ups of your oozing xfmr and gummy (presumably) PCB
residues and you'll be ok.

   Seriously though, It's hard to imagine a coiler with PCB "awareness"
exposing
himself in a way that would result in  deleterious PCB effects.

Dave Hartwick
[I should note that I'm generally appalled by a country that's gone out-of-its
mind with safety consciousness. Environmentalists have succeeded in
producing in
the populace a "Chemical-Phobia". All chemicals are bad--Period.
   Could we return to logic and reason?]