[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Limiting Safety Gap Current

Personally, I don't think using resistors to limit the
safety gap current is the way to go. I would
use an inductance in series with the safety gap. This
would be much more effective, since a coil or choke
is quite good at limiting the discharge current. In
fact, that is what happens with your primary coil.

Since the safety gap rarely fires anyhow, the choke coils
wouldn't have to be all that large. You can add a core
material such as iron or ferrite to increase inductance,
but be aware that you will have just constructed a mini-
induction heater. But hey, you have to dissipate the
energy SOMEHOW, and an inductive load may just be the
best way to do it.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee