[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pole pig needed

>[I should note that I'm generally appalled by a country that's gone
out-of-its
>mind with safety consciousness. Environmentalists have succeeded in
>producing in
>the populace a "Chemical-Phobia". All chemicals are bad--Period.
>   Could we return to logic and reason?]

	Nevertheless, for whatever practical, if not logical reasons, if you have
a Pole Pig containing PCBs and the EPA is on your a**, you're done.  If you
attempt to dispose of it, most junkyards would refuse citing liability, if
you dumped it somewhere you could be fined huge sums-- the bottom line is
that buying a pole pig which contains PCBs, if it isn't particularly
dangerous to the experimenter, is a "hot potato" legally, first from the
standpoint of removal or disposal, and second from the standpoint of
medical treatment in case you or your neighbors get sick (or even think
they get sick) from leakage.  Since you have waived the power companies'
liability, you would have NO recourse and probably no insurance claim.
Whether or not PCB's are as harmful as the EPA thinks they are, I
personally would not go around buying older transformers without knowing
exactly what I was buying, and evaluating the worst-case scenario (which in
this case is VERY VERY BAD).
			--Mike