[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A new cap failure mode?

At 21:27 05/02/99 -0700, you wrote:
>The idea of a resistor in series with the cap gap posses the problem of
>needing a high voltage resistor.  However, they should be easy to make.
>Taking a few inches of nichrome wire and winding a few turns on a plastic
>former should do the trick. You could immerse this resistor in epoxy to hold
>the wire in place and increase the voltage capability. Cost shouldn´t be a
>problem, because you only need a small length of wire. The voltage drop
>(I^2*R losses) across the resistor should not be a problem either, because
>the neccessary resistance doesn´t need to be very large (a few ohms or
>even less should be sufficient). As they gaps (are not supposed to) fire
>continuesly, the current capabilty of the wire in epoxy shouldn´t be a
>problem either. You might not even need nichrome wire. Maybe a
>few (more) turns of thinner copper or steel wire could do the trick.

Reinhard,
	sorry if I sound a bit thick on this but could you explain how you would
connects this low value resistor? I can't see how it would work. Is the
resistor across the cap? between the cap and ground? if it is across the
cap wont it form a tuned circuit with the cap? I don't understand.

greetings
bob golding