[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: cap oil

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Robert Volk <smrtmny2-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Hi all!
> HELP?! I purchased a five gallon bucket of "mineral oil" from a local
> supplier. The bucket was labeled "Worm Gear lube 90" from 76 company. I
> questioned the dealer about it and he said it was mineral oil. When I
> opened it tonight to use it, it seemed darker than the mineral oil at
> the drug store. Is this normal? I've put too much work into my new
> polled poly caps to have them blow because of bad oil. The oil is not
> thick but it's definitely not as thin as the pharmaceutical brands.
>
> Can any one give me direction here?
> Thanks, Bob

Bob,

Do not use this oil in an electrical insulation or capacitor fill
application!  It is likely full of unwanted additives that all conspire
to enhance lubricating and surface wear qualities when used in a
gearbox, but simultaneously ruin the insulating quality of the oil to
electrical holdoff and dielectric loss.

If you are really out of touch due to geographic considerations, even
good farm suppliers sell animal laxative mineral oil which is clear and
would work fine in HV applications if not water contaminated.  If it
contains water it can be placed in a clean metal pot on the stove and
heated to outgas the water.  Be careful not to overheat it.  If it
smokes and turns straw colored you've overdone it.

The clear  mineral oil they sell in drugstores is also acceptable, but
way overpriced.

Robert W. Stephens