[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wire Joining?

Michael,

There are places (motor rewind shops, etc..) that could provide the wire,
but the wire length available will depend on what they have in stock  and
stock will depend on what thier recurring motor winding lengths require. A
transformer winding business would probably have the long lengths of wire.
In any case, you'll need about 35 lbs of magnet wire. Ask for it by the
pound (my local motor rewind shop was amazed that I knew to ask for it by
the pound). This little bit of knowledge can really work to your advantage,
at least here locally.

The reason I found the motor rewind shop locally was because I had to splice
on another roll of 18awg magnet wire. There's no problem doing this if
required. When I join wiring, I use a lighter to burn the insulation
slightly and easily take fine emery cloth to it to remove about 1 inch of
insulation from each wire end. Then with a fine file, I file a pointed flat
on both wires so that when I join them, they are just about the same width
of a single wire. I then solder them. To insulate, I dip the joint in
polyurathane several times allowing drying time between dips. Presto.

Another way of doing this is to drill a small hole in the coil form and pass
each wire through to the inside. Then solder and lamenate with polyurathane.
This has the effect of ensuring the closewound side-by-side windings are
in-line without the slight bulge. Personally, I don't think a slight buldge
matters in the least. I have not had problems, but if your winding for
cosmetic reasons, then this might be the way to go (short of a full roll for
the winding length).

Bart