[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Operation - was "Harmonics"

Hi John,

> Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <COUTUREJH-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>

>   Malcolm -
>
>   Can you give us more info on the mechanical descriptions and the 1st order
> differential equations? Also on net electrical effect on the tank observed
> on scope? Are you referring to your waveform photos?

I am indeed. The linear decrement has been talked about ad nauseum.
Ignoring firing voltage and taking conduction voltage as being
reasonably constant, one can approximate Rgap = Vcond/Igap. I am sure
there are dozens of posts saying this in the archives. For a fuller
description, refer to posts from Ed Harris circa 1996. A physical
analogy might crudely be one of a hose that expands as water volume
moving through it increases. Interestingly enough, it is very likely
the discharge channel in air is doing exactly the same thing as gap
current increases. The only evidence of a positive resistance arc
characteristic is for a discharge running at saturation current in a
confined space (e.g. xenon flashtube).

Malcolm