[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Operation - Myths

Charles Brush  is absolutely correct, and the key thing is that the
generators which Tesla supposedly overloaded were never overload by Tesla or
his coil.  They burned themselves up!!!  Tesla was not straining them at
all!   He merely sent transients into them which arced over the insulation
inside and this caused the internal armature wires to short.  From here on,
the generators destroyed themselves.

Tesla's coil was the causitive agent, but not by asking for more power than
the Colorado Springs power station could supply.  In theory,  a 1KW coil could
have brought the whole system down if operated nearer the power station.
Power stations of that era were designed for one thing.......Lighting only!
Tesla had also added induction motors to the list.  There were no RF worries
on the power lines beyond lightning damage.

Richard Hull, TCBOR