[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Limiting Safety Gap Current

  The place to put a safety gap is at the transformer, and
set it so its firing point is just slightly higher than the firing
point of the main gap. Actually the primary gap charge voltage
is mainly controlled by the firing point of the main spark gap.
 I'm not saying that placing a safety gap acrossed the cap
won't work, I'm saying the same protection can be had
with the safety gap in a safer location, of course if you're
using a 50KV cap in a 12KV system you will most likely
skate by with it, but a 15-20KV cap in 12KV system is
asking for it. Of course, if the gap never fires there is no
problem.

Mark Graalman

On Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:46:44 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <mopar-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
>Mark,
>
>Tesla List wrote:
>
>> Original Poster: Mark S Graalman <teslac-at-juno-dot-com>
>>
>>   I made comments on this a number of months ago. A
>> safety gap across the primary gap is a BIG MISTAKE
>> it WILL cause destruction of the cap sooner or later.
>>  A gap acrossed the cap sets up a very high frequency
>> high current circuit that is coupled to NOTHING and a
>> huge standing wave is set up. A inductive loading of the
>> circuit will simply lower the frequency of the circuit and
>> slightly lower the peak current, the energy will not be
>> dissipated in the reactance of the inductors but returned to
>> the cap. Some may disagree, but I've killed a lot of caps this
>> way, it is NOT the way to do it.
>>
>> Mark  Graalman
>
>What is the way to do it?
>
>Bart

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]