Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 15:47:28 +0000
From: Alex Crow <user-at-alexcrow.clara-dot-net>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Custom Neon Xfrmrs in UK

Dear All,

I just spent over 2 days searching London for old NSTs. It seems that in
this country anything above 10kV, 30mA has just been outlawed. I have
phoned around loads of places looking for my ideal set of four 10kV 50mA
units, only to hear they all threw then away about a month or two ago,
or all the units are fried beyond repair. One place had dumped about 12
of these lovely machines in one go and these were in total working order
- I nearly cried when I heard this. Anyway, being tired of scrounging, I
was put onto one of our major manufacturers for NSTs in the UK,
Tunewell. Although they are much more pricey than second-hand stuff,
they will build you a custom transformer up to (or even maybe beyond)
10kV at 100mA.  They do this totally to your order - I asked for two
matched 10kv-at-100mA units, with no casing or encapsulation, terminated
with good straps, suitable for immersion in oil, and they quoted me
103GBP per unit exc VAT. Considering these are BRAND NEW, custom built,
1KVA units this is a marvellous price. They are extremely polite and
co-operative, and seem to know far more about what they sell than any
high-street place... give them a call on 0181 807 3671. Ask for Steve or
perhaps Glen in the Tech Department.

Alex Crow

user-at-alexcrow.clara-dot-net