From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 9:22 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: NE555 driven coil WAS:Re: SCR driver coil...

Original Poster: Paolo <pagaiard-at-geocities-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Kerry Jarrell <Kerry-at-apprentice-dot-com>
>
> well I have built a coil this way before, I used a car coil driven with a
> 555 timer, the draw back is the 555 timer is not leinar, when you adjust
the
> pulse width the freq changes, a better choice is a pulse width No
problem, I will use a very short pulse, say 1us. I've decided to keep its
lenght constant.

> driving, but you will kill it fast if you do not protect it, I used one to
This is the most important thing. How did you protect your circuit?
I really don't know how comply with this task, I suppose some small
neon bulbs could protect my power transistor from inverse voltages, but
I don't want to risk:
I've time for only one chance, and power transistors are really
expensive, too:-(

I suppose the problem was arising from the high inverse voltages coming
back at the primary, am I right?

Paolo