[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Operation

Tesla List wrote:

>   Are you saying that with your program the mutual inductance has to be
> estimated by the program user and entered into your program? How do you
> estimate the mutual inductance? The JHCTES program calculates the mutual
> inductance using information shown in Terman's book. The mutual inductance
> is then used to find other TC parameters.

The mutual inductance can be calculated by several methods (I will
implement one in my program when time allows), and is also easily
measured in an experimental setup. It is not a very critical
parameter, unless you are seeking the absolute optimum of one
of that particular values that result in maximum energy transfer.

>   I know there are many books that have been written and solutions given for
> the TC model. What I am looking for is a coiler who has actually performed
> the 4th order calcs for his coil at the design stage and built and tested
> the coil for comparison. Did Skeldon et al do this and did they use
> empirical data? With this information why hasn't someone writen a TC
> computer program using the 4th order differential equations or the classical
> approximate solution? Would this require empirical data to make it complete?

Skeldon et al compare the idealized solution with the actual
waveforms of their coil. A point that may use empirical data is
in the determination of the equivalent resistances to add to the
primary and secondary circuits. The equivalent resistance of the
primary spark gap is difficult to model accurately, and the
effects of dielectric losses, skin effect, proximity effect, and
irradiation in the secondary coil are also not so simple to model
without experimental/empirical data.

>   My server was not able to find your URL. Has anyone on the List been able
> to download Antonio's Teslasim program? If so, have you used it to design,
> build, and test a coil to see how it compares with the program?

This I would like to see too. I have tested it only with a coil
operating at low power, and in that case the results match very
well.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz