[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: caps an the resonant freq.

Hello Fr. Tom, all

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Friday, February 12, 1999 10:31 PM
Subject: Re: caps an the resonant freq.

>Original Poster: "Thomas McGahee" <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
>

>Kerry,
>Follow Ed's advice, but instead of building up the poly in multiple
layers,
>make two or three single-thickness caps and wire them in series. This
will
>make for a much more robust cap, and the extra aluminum foil is dirt
>cheap.
>
>The reason why such multiple series caps work out better is that each
>cap section only sees a fraction of the total voltage, and thus
>localized corona effects are GREATLY reduced. Corona is the great
>killer of caps. Most people who have used this technique would never
>
>Fr. Tom McGahee

Hmm, while it is very true that corona is one of the biggest cap killers
around (and I totally agree with you here), I would suggest you go
for at least two layers of PE per cap. As you are building caps with
less than virgin material, using a single layer per cap is really asking
for it (dirt inclusions, pinholes, etc).

As a matter of fact every 200µm (~7.87mils) PE I have ever measured
turned out to be more like 160-180µm (6.3-7.08 mils). So measuring
would be a good idea, too.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard