[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sam Barros's "Coils Of Destruction" => Pictures and Coil diagrams available!

Greetings Fellow Coilers and High-Voltage Experimenters.

 Over the past few months of my research on a High-Power Car Ignition
Coil Driver I have received an ever-increasing number of positive
respond to each and every one of those mails, even though sometimes
the amount of mail I get can be overwhelming.
 Nevertheless, experimentation continues and I though this would be a
good opportunity to share my results and expectations with you.
 First of all, let me express my goals:
 I want to develop 3 drivers, one suitable for powering a fairly large
Tesla-Coil (2kW+), another one capable of running 2 coils on
continuous output at as large power as possible and a last one capable
of running a single coil as a Tesla Coil (no core, and HV on the
primary).
 I have obtained reasonable success on all three of them. The
Tesla-Coil driver I have in mind right now uses a very large (100uF+)
capacitor pulsing the coils with a few hundred volts. Both coils are
in parallel and I can obtain very stable, very powerful arcs, starting
at about 1-2cm in length, which is about right for charging a Tesla
Coil without putting too much stress on the caps. The most successful
version so far was, without a doubt the second one, which pulses two
high-power coils to 5000Watts and arcs start at almost 20Cm distance.
I also obtained some success pulsing 1kV, 2uF on the primary of a
coil, which made 20cm long sparks (ONE coil, not 2 as the other
drivers use).
 Progress is limited by my lack of time and founds, but, within the
limits of what is possible I am doing my best to create the very most
powerful car ignition coil drivers ever built.
 Back to the point of this message, I would like to say that
coil-drivers numbers 1 and 2 are nearing completion. I have therefore
decided to make available all the prototype pictures I took during the
development of both devices (they are actually the same driver except
for a larger cap and a different coil configuration on the Tesla Coil
driver). These are all the files I have right now:

 Coilparts (78K) This is a picture of my High-Power Oil Cooled
Ignition Coil Autopsy. All The parts were carefully cleaned and laid
out on a table for this picture. The picture shows the original coil,
and next to it all the parts inside it, in the sequence they go into
the coil.

 Coil diagram (200K) Certainly one of the most difficult ones I ever
did. Although it looks fairly simple, drawing this diagram took me
several days, amounting to a total of over 12hours. For this an
Ignition Coil was carefully measured and disassembled step-by step,
with each part carefully documented and measured in every single
relevant way. I than meticulously drew a colour diagram of the coil
and scanned it into my computer. Finally, I used Microsoft Pain (that
was the worst part) to draw a 2-D digital image over it. As the
original image was built so that laying the coil over it would show an
exact 1:1 ratio, the digital image does the same. It shows each and
every single part of the coil, with a detailed description of how it
is made and what its characteristics are. Wire diameter, insulation
properties, winding resistances, etc are all there.

 20W coildriver (91K) A picture of my original driver, making 4cm long
sparks.

 20W coildriver and cap (72K) The original driver on a Tesla-Coil
circuit. The coil has a capacitor large enough to power a small coil
in parallel to the output and a 1.5cm sparkgap in parallel to that.
You can see the super-bright UV arc being drawn...

 1.1kW coildriver (69K) A picture of my more recent driver, showing
what it looked like before I applied 5kW to it and I had to build
another one.

 1.1kW coildriver open (94K) Shows the internal arrangement of the
driver, displaying the controls and internal parts.

All these pictures are JPG compression factor 3 (Thanks to Cabbot's
great suggestions and help!). They are about as small as I can make
them and still keep the good quality. The file is:

 Coildriver.Zip 540K

 As I don't have a homepage yet, I'll be mailing this file privately
to anyone who requests is at
sambarros-at-yahoo-dot-com
 Questions, comments and suggestions are, of course, very welcome!

 More updates to follow... Hopefully I'll be running 5kW again by the
end of the week (We killed the last working driver last Sunday. My
Next driver will have some bigger parts:-)

ZZZZZZZZAAAAAP!

 Sam Barros.
==
 Sam Barros,
sambarros-at-yahoo-dot-com
ICQ#:15156975

 "The Less You Know, The Better You Sleep"...
 "Evolution Stops When Stupidity Is No Longer Fatal"
 "If At First You Don't Suceed, Increase The Amperage"